Sunday, February 16, 2014

Wireless Security



Reading over this week’s topic in my CIS 608 class and the fact that my parents just called me about needing a new wireless router for their house brought to mind the topic of wireless security.  Although a few of the best practices that I have been using for years came to mind such as changing the default passwords and using WPA2 security, I thought I would do a quick internet search to see what some experts say are ways that you should secure your wireless network.  The search netted varying articles with different opinions but the one that I found to be interesting was the article by Samara Lynn of PCMag.com called “5 Ways to Secure Your Wireless Router”.   The article can be viewed at: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2409751,00.asp.  

The five ways that the article tells users they should secure their wireless network are:
1.       Password Encryption using WPA2 security
2.       Turn off SSID broadcasting
3.       Disable guest networks
4.       MAC Filtering
5.       Get a network monitoring app

All of these suggested protections seem to be pretty basic to me.  Although I do not utilize all of these methods of protection I can see definite value in following these suggestions.  The only protection that I don’t currently run is MAC address filtering.  That is primarily because this is a very inconvenient thing for me to do with the constant influx of new devices that require access into my network.   I may again someday re-enable MAC filtering but as for now I don’t do this.  Some other measures that I personally have run on wireless networks are to run extremely long passphrases for the security password.  Typically the phrase will consist of letters, numbers and special characters and be at least 50 characters.   Although there are many different protections out there for wireless networks it is important for users to protect them using suggestions such as the advice given in this article in order to secure their network.